A lovely traditional Sunday lunch favorite!
Rubbing the chicken with butter and grilling the chicken before-hand makes the skin nice and crispy. The added herbs and garlic makes it very flavourful.
Add you favorite keto-friendly vegetables and voila!
- 1,2 kg Whole broiler-fryer chicken 1,2-1,3 kg
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp Lemon-pepper seasoning or you can also use fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- 3 Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Remove giblets from inside of the chicken’s cavity.
- Thoroughly dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Place chicken, breast side UP, on a rack set over a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush chicken with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle or rub minced garlic all over chicken.
- In a small bowl combine salt, basil, thyme, and lemon pepper; rub onto the chicken.
- Add some salt to the inside of the cavity and fill the cavity with lemon slices, rosemary, and garlic cloves.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wings under the body of the chicken.
- Roast, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 175C and continue to cook until done; about 1 more hour and 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of chicken reach 75C.
- Remove from oven and baste the chicken with the juices.
- Let rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.