This lemon ricotta cake recipe seems like a lot of work, but it isn’t really.
I was looking for a cheesecake recipe but also felt like having cake cake and eventually decided on this recipe. Boy oh boy, it turned out incredibly delicious with the creamy texture from the ricotta, light and zingy flavour from the lemons. Exactly what I was looking for. And, exactly what I keep telling people. So many cakes that are made in the traditional way can be turned into a “keto-friendly” recipe. My husband swears the keto-versions are better than the originals!
You can also make your own ricotta cheese. I couldn’t find any ricotta on the shelves so I ended up making my own. Whoooooa, what a process! Surprisingly quick and simple actually, but a process non the less.
Do let me know if you try this recipe out?!
- Round cake tin
- 120 grams Butter, unsalted softened
- 200 grams Erythritol
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Lemon Zest
- 4 large Eggs, free-range, separated at room temprature
- 240 grams Almond Flour
- 300 grams Ricotta Cheese
- Flaked Almonds, to decorate
- Erythritol, for dusting
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Prepare a 20cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Place the softened butter and 160 grams of the erythritol, vanilla extract and lemon zest in an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes until pale and creamy. You can do this with a hand mixer as well, it will just require a bit of elbow grease 😉
- Scrap down the sides of the bowl, then add the egg yolks one at a time whilst continuing to beat until fully combined.
- Add the almond flour and beat to combine.
- Fold the ricotta into the mixture.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the remaining erythritol to the egg white mixture.
- Gently fold a third of the egg white mixture into the almond flour mixture and repeat with the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle almond flakes over the top and bake the cake for 40-45 minutes or until knife test is clear.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the cake tin. Dust with icing sugar to serve.