I’ve got my “skoonma” to thank for this Bacon & Broccoli Salad! She tore it out of a Huisgenoot a couple of years ago and ask if this could be keto-friendly?
It’s so easy to make and have it as a side in the fridge. It lasts long and goes with any protein really. Just make sure to add the dressing only when you serve instead of adding the dressing once you’ve made the recipe. The broccoli will become a bit soggy.
On the days when I lazy, I’ll simply use the already chopped bacon bits instead of cutting the bacon up myself. Feel free to add any type of cheese. We prefer gouda and cheddar over feta cheese so many of my recipes will simply have gouda in. The sunflower seed mix also gives it a wonderful twist of crunchiness.
- 400 g Broccoli cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Seed/Seed Mix
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 Pieces Streaky Bacon, chopped finely
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Mayonnaise preferably Carb Smart
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp Xylitol Syrup/Xylitol Sugar
- Cook the broccoli for 2 minutes in boiling water over high heat.
- Drain and pour cold water over to cool it off immediately. Set aside.
- Place the bacon in the oven and grill until crispy.
- For the Salad Dressing, mix all of the ingredients together in a small measuring jug/bowl.
- Once the bacon has cooled, mix it with the broccoli and add the sunflower seeds/seed mix.
- Only add the salad dressing when you serve the broccoli.