Bobotie is such a loved and traditional South African recipe. Luckily the curry flavours and egg custard on top can easily be mimicked to be keto-friendly. Except for the sultanas and apricot jam, there is nothing lacking making this Bobotie the low carb way!
- 500 g Beef or Lamb Mince
- 2 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 2 Medium Onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp of each of the following spices: Ground Coriander Ground Ginger Curry Powder, Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Xylitol
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Almond Slivers
- 3-4 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Cream coconut cream as a substitute.
- 2 Large Free Range/Organic Eggs
- Pink Himalayan Salt & Pepper
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil and add the mince. Cook making sure there are no big lumps (use a wooden spoon or a fork to separate bits).
- Add all the spices, lemon juice and almonds to the mince.
- Whisk together the cream/coconut cream and eggs.
- Spoon the mince into a medium-sized oven dish and level it with the back of a spoon.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over this and poke the bay leaves in the mince for decoration.
- Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes. The egg custard should be firm and set and a golden brown colour.